Saturday, September 22, 2007

Real Simple Questions

1. Describe your most embarrassing fashion moment.
Prom my Senior, or was it Jr., year. My Mom and I made my dress. It was awful, black velvet and shiny gold!

2. How often do you weigh yourself?
About twice a month

3. What is your main source of news?
News, what news? If it is not on Noggin or Disney, I don't know about it. It took 3 days to find out about the tsunami last year.

4. Something that has been on my mind lately is....
My friend's impending wedding, and if I really want to be in it if I have to wear this dress with no bra.

5. Describe your high school yearbook photo.
Average

6. Name something that, once you stopped battling it, has made your life simpler.
My hair...it is what it is.

7. The big decision I'm currently wrestling with is....
How much money should I save vs. how many things on my "want" list should I buy?

5 comments:

  1. can't wait to see photos of you lookin' great at the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh...#7 (the money) strikes a chord with me. I struggled with that for a while, too. We found a balance, though - I *feel* like it is skewed to the "save" side of things, but we also set aside quite a bit of money for discretionary purchases. Several different savings accounts is how I'm doing it right now....our "DO NOT TOUCH" savings account HAS to have the money deposited each month....the discretionary savings account balance "floats"...some months I've spent the money and don't deposit any that month, or if we're saving up for something bigger, there could be quite a lot in there.

    But, to figure out how much goes where, we had to sit down and outline what our financial goals were. Cheesy sounding, I know, but we had to decide how much "rainy day money" we wanted (6 months of expenses is our goal), which debts we wanted paid off and how quickly (student loans vs. car vs. mortgage), and instead of paying a bit extra on each, we slog everything extra to the highest interest rate loan until it is paid off. Then college/mission savings goals, plus how much discretionary spending we wanted. "One for the Money" - a pamphlet offered at church (and online) - is a good resource.

    It took several months to work through it, but I feel so much better with a plan. Before, I pretty much felt like "hey, I make a lot of money, so I am justified in spending a lot" but it does feel more peaceful knowing that, yes, I'm making a lot of money, but I also have a plan of where it is going and knowing how much I can afford to spend.

    Sorry for the rambling - but we just went through all of this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dress for the wedding is beautiful, and I have a suggestion. Check out www.bostonproper.com. Under their "intimates" catagory they sell a "plunging u-bra" that may work perfectly for your dress. Hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew you were embarrassed to wear that aweful, black velvet and shiny gold dress. It breaks my heart to think that you had to go to your prom in a dress that embarrassed you. It was made with love and money I didn't really have at the time.

    Perhaps there are some things that Mom's should just not know.

    Guess Who.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dress was pretty bad. Neither one of us knew it would be until it was done. We picked everything out together, and made it together. The time we spent making it had more impact on me than the prom.
    So, don't worry, if I had to choose between buying a dress or making that dress again with you, I would (hands down) make the dress.
    J

    ReplyDelete