Friday, September 28, 2007

Home Room Mom


To be Home Room Mom or not to be Home Room Mom, that is the question. Three of us have volunteered to take the position. We all work, but have very flexible schedules and are glad to work together. We asked to have an introductory meeting with the teacher to get things organized, and this was her response:

I am sad to say that we are very busy right now and can't meet with you. If you ladies want to meet with each other that
is fine with me. Also, the monthly homeroom meetings will not be the same day every month. Flexibility and free time is the key to being a homeroom mom. Usually it ends up being a housewife, stay at home mom, etc.

Does that sound like a lady who wants help, or does it sound like a lady biting the hand that feeds her? I got news for her, no Stay at Home Moms signed up for the gig. If we don't do it, who the heck will?

I am debating whether or not I want to work with her. I don't want Alex to miss out, but from what I have seen, I am not sure his teacher and I would get along.

1 comment:

  1. Be careful! The last home room mom I met in Houston ended up sponsoring all the "teacher" things like expensive Christmas gifts, collecting mandatory donations from each child for "other" teacher necessities, and throwing a baby shower for the teacher as well as planning a quarterly breakfast for all the teachers (the entire faculty). Be sure you know what you are really getting into and my goodness...the teacher needs to be a bit more flexible! Planning is key!

    Whatever you decide to do remember you are wise and lead with kindness!

    ReplyDelete