Thursday, August 30, 2007

Sent to the Principal's office


Alex was sent to the Principal’s office today for fighting! WHAT?!?!?!
He said he was aggravating another little boy by pretending he was going to bite him (chomping his teeth like a dinosaur). When Alex wouldn't stop, the little kid twisted Alex's arm and pulled his finger backwards. Alex retaliated and returned the arm-twisting. They both got in trouble.
I would like to say a formal thank you to the kid who has now taught my kid how to fight. Where do kids learn to fight at 5 years old?
Obviously, Alex is no angel. He is not listening at school; he has gotten time-out every day this week. Now, he comes home with this whole fighting thing! What have I done wrong? How come the other kids are not getting into this much trouble? Maybe I should just have gone on to work and left the kids in childcare, with professionals, because, apparently, I didn't do a very good job.
The best part about questioning myself is that I have been a 'single parent' for so long now, I feel solely responsible. I know Don is going to swoop in for 2 days and tell me how I could do things better. That's gunna feel great.
It doesn't help that Alex's teacher, Mrs. Rome, is like 12 years old! Seriously, she can't be more than 24. I have very little confidence in her range of knowledge concerning children's behavior. She probably knows a lot about book stuff, but how could she possibly have the wisdom or experience to know how to effectively deal with kids like Alex?
I am not feeling very optimistic. I have already talked myself into being OK with it if he gets kicked out.

I am so grumpy tonight. I have been yelling at all of the kids. If they are going to turn out like hooligans anyway, why bother trying to do the right thing?

6 comments:

  1. Oh - I'm so sorry. I feel your pain!! Your kids WON'T grow up to be hooligans. Although I certainly know how it is to feel like throwing your hands up....and I was a single mom to only one - you've got three!!

    Just keep loving them...that will have more influence in the long run than the kids at school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry you have to question yourself. Alex will just have to work out what is acceptable behavior for this teacher and it will smooth out. It amazes me what kids can learn so young. Alex has a sweet heart and wants to please. He'll learn fast. We may have to teach him how to think things without acting them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been there, done that! Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! But I promise it will only hurt for a minute. Soon you'll find humor in things like this, cause believe me it'll happen again. Each time a little differently, but inevitably again. Honestly you just can't prepare for everything that these little boogers are going to do. Chomping dino teeth at a classmate who can't refrain from acting out at him is small in the grand scheme of things. I'd be glad that he didn't allow himself to be pummeled. The timeouts are just an adjustment period for something new. Obviously you don't want him to be unruly, but I'm quite sure that you raised him well. Not to worry mama, everybody will get the hang of it soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that telling you to "not beat yourself up" is easier said than done. But this will definitely pass.

    If they DO grow up to be hooligans, it'll be that other kids' fault. NOT yours. I'm KIDDING! They are far from hooligans. I've spent time with all of them and they are an absolute delight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember Audra saying, before her kids started kindergarten, that she was just going to expect things like that to happen, and she wasn't going to take it personally.

    As my little boy has started kindergarten this year, I keep reminding myself of her words of wisdom... They've given me a lot of comfort as I've anxiously anticipated each days report in his daily behavior folder.

    I'm glad that Cole's teacher recognizes that he's bored, hopefully things are already better... I guess the the bottom line is--our kids are individuals too, we do the best we can, and then they make their own choices.

    To those who try and judge us by our children's behaviors, I think, just wait, your turn will come.

    I think we're too hard on ourselves as mothers. It's a hard job, and we need to cut ourselves some slack. From what I've read on your blog, I think you're a great mom, and the love for your kids shines through. I love your posts that are dedicated to each child. They are priceless.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete