Friday, April 20, 2007

Coming Home to Kids


On the flight back from Sedona, I was truly dreading the return. I was sad.
I realized that I think of my kids as work. I don't want to view them that way.
I love my kids more than words can express. I wouldn't trade them for anything. So, I pondered how I could change my focus and appreciate my children for the beautiful gifts they are.
My girlfriend, N*, had a great thought. She said, "I have a parent bucket, a work bucket, a church bucket, and a volunteer bucket."
If only one bucket was full, she wouldn’t feel balanced. If all of her buckets were full, she would feel weighed down.
When she has a little in every bucket, she feels balanced and challenged.
I am exploring my options. I might go back to work, part-time. I may find some serious hobbies. I may start training for a marathon. I want my children to see that one can love and care for their family while still being a fulfilled individual.
So, here I go...searching for some balance...

3 comments:

  1. I think achieving ballance is one of my greatest challenges - partially because I'm so passionate about so many things and I want to pour all of myself into each of them. When you find it, let me know how I can get me some! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you pass the knowledge on to me too! If you decide to add a marathon to your balancing act, let me know... maybe we can do some long runs together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ya, let me know how that goes. :)

    ReplyDelete