Saturday, March 24, 2007

Ten Thousand Million Diamonds

"Three years after this difficult decision to leave my job, our daughter Aerie asked me, 'Mom if someone said you could have then thousand million diamonds or your Aerie, what would you choose?' I told her, 'I would choose my Aerie.' She went on, 'If someone said you could have ten million hundred dollars or your Aerie, what would you choose?' Again, I told her, 'I would choose my Aerie.'
Ensign, April 2007
Mother, Come Home by Shauna Bird Dunn


This article was written, I think, just for me. I, like the Mommy who wrote this article, wanted to be a corporate leader when I grew up. It never crossed my mind to be a Stay-at-Home Mom. I wanted power suites not "worn clothes covered in peanut butter."
Tears filled my eyes after reading this article. I wouldn't trade any of my kids for ten thousand million diamonds. When I made my plans to be a business powerhouse, I had no idea what value came along with being a Mom. I just didn't, and couldn't, understand how valuable my children would be.

Sure, I want my suites back sometimes, but I am sure if I were in the business world, I would want my kids back more.

5 comments:

  1. There is something about becoming a mother it seems to put everything into perspective. I found this qoute that says:
    Making the decision to have a child is to forever have your heart go walking outside your body.
    You are a wonderful Mom. And I can totally relate to wanting to escape every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a sweet post. I know how you feel. I was the same way--I was studying for the GMAT while I was pregnant with Zach. It just didn't occur to me how to raise a family while I was working. I'm glad I made the same choice you did too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. It means so much to me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete