Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The World Today


I go back and forth on how happy I am in the world today.
I am happy with my family. I am happy to have such a wide variety of experiences. I am happy to have luxuries like washing machines, treadmills, computers, and microwaves. I am happy to have access to collaborative education. I am happy to live in a time of advanced medicine.
I am not happy, however, with the turmoil in the world. I am sure I feel this more because of the wide availability of information. I hate (yes, I said hate...you know it must be bad) poverty, war, murder, and torture. There is so much of it in the world that I sometimes feel overloaded and desperate for a solution.
I have to figure out how I can be part of the solution. Why have I been waiting around for an unnamed someone to fix these issues?
If I don't take charge, whom will I leave in charge by default?
I need to be the example for my children. I need to teach them how to take responsibility. I need to show them they can make a difference.

1 comment:

  1. isn't it hard? I hate listening to the news for this very reason, but I try to remember that the best thing I can do is make a difference for my children -today- {hugs}

    ReplyDelete