Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Growing Fast


People used to tell me my kids would be grownup in no time. My response was, "good!" I was overwhelmed with new babies and everything that goes along with them. Now the fog is clearing, and my kids ARE growing up much too quickly!
Alex woke last night. He had a bad dream. So, I met him in the hall and asked what was wrong. He told me and asked to sleep with Mommy and Daddy for a little while. When I scooped him up, I realized he probably wouldn't fit in bed with Daddy and me. How strange a feeling that was. (We will, of course, be getting a bigger bed.)
Instead of going to my bed, we cuddled and rocked on the Lazy Boy. It took some effort to get comfortable. He almost didn't fit on my lap either!
It was an awakening. I rocked, and rocked, and rocked some more. I wanted to drink up whatever time I had left with Alex wanting to cuddle with Mommy.
I used to wish I had only had Alex so I could take in all those special moments that were rushed past with three little ones around, but now I have come to the conclusion that the rushed times were also precious times. Not everyone has the opportunity to feel the security of such a large family.
How fortunate am I to have 3 healthy happy kids, a husband that loves us and provides for us, and those sleepy times in the middle of the night during which I get to hold each person in my family so closely and with so much love that my heart literally hurts with gratitude.

1 comment:

  1. Now, you made me cry. I am so proud of the mother you have turned out to be. My grandchildren are the only ones more blessed than me, because of who you are in our lives.

    Keep writing. I think you are writing a best selling book without even knowing it.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete