Tuesday, February 20, 2007

MUST WEAR SKIRTS?


Last Sunday our new RS Pres. gently warned me that I should be wearing a skirt to church instead of a pant suite. I don't get it. So, I asked why. The only answer that made sense to me was one of "tradition." I am not sure I am willing to go out and buy skirts because of "tradition."
Someone also said it was respectful to "dress your best" for church. I do. My nicest clothes are pant suites, not my blue jean skirts.
The last explanation I couldn't take in was that skirts are more feminine. Must one be feminine to be Mormon? Seems unlikely to me.

Does Heavenly Father really care if I wear pants or a skirt? Is this a rule?
I am starting to believe the older members of the church just see dressy attire as, well, dresses. Small view of fashion if you ask me.
Sorry to blog over such a small issue, but it really bugs me. Should I not attend church services if I don't dress in the uniform?
I am pretty put off by this. Can you tell?

3 comments:

  1. girl, when she told me she had talked to you, I was more than slightly perturbed. as you recall, you and I had the same conversation and I gave you the "you wear what ever you want" go-ahead, since I adore your pant suits and would totally wear them if I had them. I know it is not written anywhere that you have to wear a dress or skirt to church. It is tradition, but I feel that it is more important to dress your best. I find denim skirts and flip flops more offensive than a beautifully tailored pant stuit...if you want to talk PLEASE call!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is crazy. i can't believe she said that to you! don't fret, you just keep right on wearing your gorgeous pantsuits! "tradition" is not a good reason for doing anything, in my opinion. we would never get anywhere if we only ever did what people did before us. and she really has no place saying something like that to you. we're on your team, jodie, you don't have to wear a skirt! elder holland said that we should not go to church looking like we just came from the beach, and that means that we should wear our best things. and you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to what Natalie and Leslie said. I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete