Thursday, May 24, 2007

"Oh, I remember that!"


"Sometimes the feeling is like a memory. We first learned the gospel in our heavenly home. We have come to this earth with a veil of forgetfulness. And yet lingering in each of our spirits are those dormant memories. The Holy Ghost can part the veil and bring those things out of their dormancy. Often my reaction to a supposedly new found truth is, "Oh, I remember that!"

Elder Glenn L. Pace
General Conference, 2007

This is why I decided to be a LDS.
In other denominations, I had questions that could not be answered. I asked...believe me...I asked. No matter whom I talked with, their answers just didn't sit right or were not complete enough. When I pushed, I usually got, "I don't know. We just have to believe." Well, that didn't feel right either.
With not much of another option, I just skipped words in prayers or phrases in songs in order to stay true to what I knew in my heart.
Then, I started asking those "hard" questions of an LDS Bishop. The whisperings of my Spirit were confirmed. I could hardly believe it! The ideas I held so close, the principles that couldn't be explained, were basic teaching in the LDS church.
I can now ask questions, and I know there will be an answer. It may come from counsel with others, but most likely it will come from trusting the Spirit.

1 comment:

  1. I love it when something I learn just fits with what I feel like I knew, and it just makes sense to me. Sometimes, maybe because I grew up in the same church, I take these experiences for granted. Also sometimes I wonder, "if everyone could just hear this they would know too!"

    ReplyDelete