Sunday, April 20, 2008

My First Talk


I had my first "talk" in Sacrament today. My nerves had been frazzled for 3 days! I teach Relief Society, so I should be used to talking in front of people, right? This was totally different.
Now that it is over and done, I wish I could do it again. I am sure that I will be nervous again, but not in the same way.
President Neilson was so kind. I am glad he was there. Believe it or not, his being there, calmed my nerves. He has been a comfort to me for 2 years now. We don't technically know each other all that well, but I feel like he is family.
I felt like this "boy" in the picture while preparing for my talk. There was just so much to learn, so much to gather. I really had to step back and think about how to encourage and edify those to whom I was speaking. Everything just fell into place. I knew what to use and what not to use, even though there were countless ideas.
Next time, though, I will speak more from my heart. I didn't trust myself enough this time. When I finally stopped reading and starting feeling, the inspiration was effortless.

4 comments:

  1. that's awesome. i bet you did such a great job. i can just picture you up there smiling away and leaving everyone feeling good.

    you're good at that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw man - now I REALLY miss the HP Ward! Wish I could have been there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did great and you should be very happy with it. I'll let Richard know you want to do it again ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your "first talk"! I just taught my first children's Sunday School Class last week at my church here. We're baptist so I'm sure it's a little different, but doesn't it make you feel so useful and inspiring to be a tool for others!

    ReplyDelete