Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day


Today we taught our kids about Memorial Day and those who serve to keep us safe and free. They don't have to do it. They choose to give up everything on our behalf. In my opinion, there is not a more honorable choice of careers.
We had the children make cupcakes and bring them down to a family who recently lost their very decorated Son. I had no words, as I tried not to cry looking into the eyes this fallen soldier's Father. I tried to speak, to say, "thank you" but there seemed to be no words strong enough to express my gratitude, my honor in meeting him, his accepting us into his home, and showing us his treasured flags and badges. My children couldn't know. Only a parent can feel a fraction of this Father's loss. All I could do was hug this Soldier's Dad and udder some mangled words of appreciation.
If only I could do more.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for remembering. Grandpa was touched by your phone call.
    Grammy

    ReplyDelete