Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Still, No Power.


12 days and counting...

Total customers with power: 1.72 million (76% of total customers)

Total customers without power: 541,000 (24% of total customers)

You guessed it, we are in that 24%, that special one of every 4 customers.
We were supposed to go home tomorrow, but we just got power-restoration pushed back till' Sunday, 4 days from now.
Mom comes home Sunday and will most likely want her house back. Don has his 35th birthday party Saturday. We have family flying in Friday. We might just have to buy a big generator or cancel everything.

WARNING - SOAP BOX:
Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for all the crews that are working long hours to restore power, but it does make me think. What if there were no crews coming to save the day? Would people really be this severely handy-capped without power?
Our ancestors, even as close as our Grandparents, lived happily without electricity for most of their lives. I am sure with a little creativity and sweat, we could do the same. We could start a garden, barter with the neighbors, get to know our families again, and sip lemon-aid on the porch at sunset.
Alas, we don't live in the 'good ole' days.' The kids will have to return to school, Don will have to go into the office, showered, and I will have to buy my vegetables at the grocery store. It just scares me, though, to think of how dependant we are on something we can't provide for ourselves.
Maybe I should pack it all up, move to some far off place and live off the friuts of the land. But, then again, how the heck would I blog from there?

4 comments:

  1. Okay, so you have already moved far enough away! Just come home and hang out at my house, we have electricity. I don't think I would survive without it and it would take a lot of creativity for me to figure out how. I am glad you are still comfy at your mom's. Let us know what you decide about Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen!

    we're in that special 24% too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodie!!! You crack me up! Nice soap box coming from one of the 24% who didn't even stick around for the whole shindig! You make me laugh! Sorry you are still without power. It's a bit inconvient. Bearable, but inconvient.

    Enjoy the birthday party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can't believe it's been this long and you still don't have power. craziness, and your street flooding!! you must feel very lucky it didn't come in the house, it looks like it was close!!

    ReplyDelete